The Local Food Council of NC (LFCNC), which serves as the statewide food council, is seeking three new members to represent local food councils, one from each of three regions in North Carolina (West, Central, East) to serve for a two-year term. Information about the position and the LFCNC are below.
To apply, submit the application form below by the end of the day on Friday February 10th, 2017.
About the LFCNC:
The LFCNC aims to foster coordinated support for NC local food systems; support a system of communication and collaboration with local food councils; and facilitate the development of formal and informal food-related policies and initiatives. The LFCNC currently has three working groups:
- Policy – working to identify and support policies that are favorable to bolstering local food systems in NC;
- Communications – thoughtfully raising awareness about local food systems as well as the network of local food councils in NC and
- Capacity Building – increasing the resources available for the local food councils across the state as well as continuing the effectiveness of the LFCNC through resource development.
Current membership on the LFCNC represent:
- Carolina Farm Stewardship Association;
- Center for Environmental Farming Systems;
- Conservation Trust for NC;
- Feast Down East,
- Food Bank of Central & Eastern North Carolina;
- NC Association of County Commissioners;
- North Carolina Sea Grant;
- NC Cooperative Extension – Local Foods Flagship Program;
- NC Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
- NC Department of Commerce;
- NC Department of Public Instruction;
- NC Division of Public Health;
- NC Planning Association;
- North Carolina Farm Bureau Federation;
- UNC Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
About the LFCNC Local Council Representative position:
The three local council representatives will be invited for a 2-year membership as a regional liaison to local food councils.
You will be asked to:
- Attend quarterly LFCNC meetings, in person as often as possible
- Share perspectives and updates from local food councils in your region (you will be encouraged to participate in regional networking calls for food councils in your region 2-3 times each year in order to have a broad perspective of local councils’ work regionally)
- Participate in at least one committee on the LFCNC
In return, local council representatives will receive a cash stipend of $600/year plus travel reimbursement for mileage to attend meetings.
The application for this position includes:
- PAGE 1 – Contact information
- PAGE 2 – Some basic information about what council you’re on, what sectors/region you represent, and how long you have been involved
- PAGE 3 – Three open-ended questions that will ask you to share 1) why you are interested, 2) a short bio of yourself/your work, and 3) any other information you would like to share to the LFCNC
The application should take about 20-30 minutes to complete.